Monday, May 21, 2012

Scotch Treat

Welcome to a little slice of my history. This recipe is based on the first recipe I learned in 7th-grade home economics class.

Yes, I'm old.

But that's what they called it back in the day. I think they call it something like "family and consumer sciences" now. But I also think there aren't too many of these programs in public schools anymore. I hope I'm wrong, 'cause it was all kinds of fun.

Anyway, in class, we learned what a double boiler was and what a rubber scraper was and used them together to (oh-so slowly!) stir and melt the ingredients over the stove. Dear Mrs. I-Can't-Remember-Your-Name, I'm so sorry, but I don't think I've used a double boiler since. I will be grateful to you, forever, though, because you gave me the foundation for this sweet gem of a recipe. Love, Lisa.

SCOTCH TREAT
1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
1/2 Tbsp (heaping) of butterscotch chips (about 15 or so chips)
2 1/2 Tbsp rice krispies

Cut a small square of wax paper about the size of the palm of your hand; set aside.

Place peanut butter and butterscotch chips in a small bowl together. Microwave on high for approximately 20 seconds. Take out and stir. If chips are not fully melted, put back in the microwave for another 10 seconds, take out and stir. Repeat until chips are fully melted.

When mixture in the bowl is fully melted, add rice krispies and stir, coating all of the cereal. Put coated cereal in a single clump on wax paper.

Place treat in refrigerator and chill for approximately 30 minutes or until coating is fully hardened.


No comments:

Post a Comment